Many organizations strive to protect the environment and bring benefit to their communities. As a healthcare solutions company, we see opportunity to do that through sustainable supply chain practices.
Helping clients meet their ESG goals
Through sustainable supply chain solutions, we help our clients meet their ESG goals. Working with Bon Secours Mercy Health, here are some of the environmental results we’ve achieved:
- By eliminating the use of desflurane as an anesthetic gas, we have reduced CO2 emissions by 1,671 metric tons, which is the equivalent of emissions released by driving a car 4.15 million miles.
- Over the past two years, Bon Secours Mercy Health has shifted to reusable gowns at 29 of the 34 hospitals under its direct management.
- One reusable gown = 60 disposable gowns
- We’ve eliminated 175,000 pounds of waste disposal through the use of reusable gowns
- We are transitioning from disposable to reusable pulse oximeters. In 2021, we achieved a 19% reduction in disposable oximeters.
We extend our environmental strategies and impact by aligning with other health systems through organizations leading the way in driving ESG initiatives nationwide. Bon Secours Mercy Health is a member of the Healthcare Anchor Network, a collaboration of health systems and hospitals that are advancing an Anchor Mission approach to build inclusive local economies. Bon Secours Mercy Health is also aligned with Practice Greenhealth, a networking organization driving sustainable health care by providing environmental solutions to hospitals and health systems across the U.S.
As part of the Healthcare Anchor Network’s Impact Purchasing Commitment, Bon Secours Mercy Health is increasing its use of electricity from renewable sources. In 2021, the ministry initiated an analytics platform to provide us with greater clarity on consumption data across our expansive geographic footprint. As we track recycling as a percent of total waste, in 2021, on average Bon Secours Mercy Health facilities achieved 27% recycling, exceeding the median of 24% achieved by Practice Greenhealth members.
To learn more, read Bon Secours Mercy Health’s ESG Report.
Our commitment to sustainability
Safeguarding the earth, helping people and communities thrive, and holding ourselves accountable are fundamental goals for us at Advantus Health Partners.
We’re reducing waste, promoting sustainability and conserving precious resources. Through partnerships and investment strategies, we’re extending our ability to be an agent of change, not just in the communities we serve, but around the globe.
We are committed to building a sustainable culture through environmental stewardship and partnerships, working in concert with others to protect the environment and enhance communities’ health now and for future generations.
Start a conversation about how we can help you reach your ESG goals.